Recent News from Industry:
- AbbVie completed its acquisition of Pharmacyclics to add a new oncology drug to its pipeline, a small molecule therapeutic, Ibrutinib, targeting cancers arising from B-cell malignancies. It has existing FDA approval for treatment of mantle cell lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, with new indications under development.
- Bristol Myers Squibb have announced a planned expansion with a new world-class research site to be opened in 2018 at Cambridge, Massachusetts, in addition to the expansion at their San Francisco site. However, they have also announced a discontinuation in future research efforts in virology, but it will not affect their existing portfolio or clinical development program.
- Novartis has gained FDA approval for its chronic ITP drug, Promacta, in use in children six years of age and older.
- Pfizer has agreed with GSK to take over its meningitis vaccines, Nimenrix and Mencevax, for €115m.
- Boehringer Ingelheim recently published an update on some research that showed a better quality of patient-doctor communication improved the self-care of patients in their management of diabetes – a reminder that developing the best medications is no use if we don’t make sure patients embrace them!
Other Biotech News from the Web
- The Oxford Careers Service published a short blog entry on the experiences of one graduate student’s foray into entrepreneurship.
- Bruce Booth blog post on external R&D in pharma